1.8K views
1.4

I had the Biltmore Lift 6 months ago with Dr. Harley after finding him on RealSelf.com and seeing all the positive reviews.

The surgery itself went fine, but as early as 2 weeks after surgery I began to notice my jowls were returning. At 5 months my face was more gaunt and jowls more noticeable then before the surgery. In addition, I had post surgical complications which have required medical attention. The facelift was not only a failure but also caused large bags under my eyes which now require another surgery to fix.

Dr. Harley has never taken responsibility for the poor work nor assisted me in any way with either the medical issues or the cosmetic issued resulting from the surgery. How much have I lost so far? $6400 for the surgery, $2500 in travel expenses, $2500 in follow up medical care, and corrections.

$5000 pending for the surgical revision I have scheduled. Because of my experience I tried to update my review of the surgery online. Because it was negative, I was immediately attacked by other reviewers who were clearly friends or employees of the doctor's. Some, I found out were receiving free services.

Real Self responded by blocking my access to the site. When I asked what I had done specifically to be blocked from sharing or discussing my experience they would not tell me. I created a new profile and again attempted to post my real experience with the doctor and once it again my review was removed and I was blocked without explanation. Dr.

Harley's business is almost entirely all patients who have found him on RealSelf. I found out that 80% of the positive reviews are posted 1 week to 1.5 months after surgery before the skin laxity returns and the patient sees it did not work. Because the site removes all of the negative reviews, the public only sees positive reviews so they book their surgery and the cycle continues. Dr.

Harley and RealSelf are engaged in predatory marketing and fraud. There is an unusually high percentage of Dr. Harley's patients who end up with lip palsy from the surgery, but you will not see that posted in reviews, only in discussing the surgery privately with unhappy patients. The site should be taken down.

Plastic surgery should not be sold on "reviews" like a blender you are buying on Amazon. This is surgery - its risky, its permanent and there should be marketing regulations in place to keep predators like RealSelf and Dr. Harley from at best taking advantage of people and at worst, harming them. Please complain to the Washington Attorney General (RealSelf is based in Seattle) and to the FTC.

There are several pages out there that discuss the fraud being perpetuated by RealSelf and its doctors. I've already filed my complaints and am now seeking out journalists who may be interested in investigating it further.

Reason of review: Fraud, predatory marketing.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Realself Cons: Fake positive reviews and deleted honest negative reviews, Predatory and fraudulent marketing.

Comments

@PissedConsumer1415769

Dr. Harley cannot sue anyone because he can't demonstrate that he has been "damaged" in any way by me voicing my opinion.

As Earlybird says he is now booked into July - RealSelf has continued to provide him with a steady stream of uninformed patients. Not to mention, a lawsuit would mean he will also face being held accountable for damages on my side.

Slander also only applies if the information isn't true. I am still dealing with post surgery complications and the surgery did not lift my face - those are facts.

@PissedConsumer1415843

Slander is spoken. Libel is written.

@PissedConsumer1415769

Really? If she contacted others on realself, like she did me, telling them not to have surgery with him then I think maybe he can.

That may be the reason realself kicked her off, but I am sure they have all her correspondence to me and others that the doctor is entitled to should he pursue a case. It is one thing to be unhappy, but another entirely when someone does what she has done.

Realself Reviews