1.8K views
1.4

I had the Biltmore Lift 6 months ago with Dr. Harley after finding him on RealSelf.com and seeing all the positive reviews.

The surgery itself went fine, but as early as 2 weeks after surgery I began to notice my jowls were returning. At 5 months my face was more gaunt and jowls more noticeable then before the surgery. In addition, I had post surgical complications which have required medical attention. The facelift was not only a failure but also caused large bags under my eyes which now require another surgery to fix.

Dr. Harley has never taken responsibility for the poor work nor assisted me in any way with either the medical issues or the cosmetic issued resulting from the surgery. How much have I lost so far? $6400 for the surgery, $2500 in travel expenses, $2500 in follow up medical care, and corrections.

$5000 pending for the surgical revision I have scheduled. Because of my experience I tried to update my review of the surgery online. Because it was negative, I was immediately attacked by other reviewers who were clearly friends or employees of the doctor's. Some, I found out were receiving free services.

Real Self responded by blocking my access to the site. When I asked what I had done specifically to be blocked from sharing or discussing my experience they would not tell me. I created a new profile and again attempted to post my real experience with the doctor and once it again my review was removed and I was blocked without explanation. Dr.

Harley's business is almost entirely all patients who have found him on RealSelf. I found out that 80% of the positive reviews are posted 1 week to 1.5 months after surgery before the skin laxity returns and the patient sees it did not work. Because the site removes all of the negative reviews, the public only sees positive reviews so they book their surgery and the cycle continues. Dr.

Harley and RealSelf are engaged in predatory marketing and fraud. There is an unusually high percentage of Dr. Harley's patients who end up with lip palsy from the surgery, but you will not see that posted in reviews, only in discussing the surgery privately with unhappy patients. The site should be taken down.

Plastic surgery should not be sold on "reviews" like a blender you are buying on Amazon. This is surgery - its risky, its permanent and there should be marketing regulations in place to keep predators like RealSelf and Dr. Harley from at best taking advantage of people and at worst, harming them. Please complain to the Washington Attorney General (RealSelf is based in Seattle) and to the FTC.

There are several pages out there that discuss the fraud being perpetuated by RealSelf and its doctors. I've already filed my complaints and am now seeking out journalists who may be interested in investigating it further.

Reason of review: Fraud, predatory marketing.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Realself Cons: Fake positive reviews and deleted honest negative reviews, Predatory and fraudulent marketing.

Comments

@PissedConsumer1420955

I agree with your analogy Not. She seems to think all positive reviews are fake but all negative ones are true.

I cant make any sense of the way she tries to reason so I guess she cant either. Its no wonder.

#1420775

Cantlie - what has occurred to me is that when “one person” responds there are posts appearing simultaneously from “other” users basically parroting what the first person said. This board is not a blog - there is no one following it and for most people that post a review it can take months before anyone new even responds . The constant harassment from the one or two people posting here and making themselves appear to be numerous “new” people commenting is laughable.

@PissedConsumer1420775

Agree. She did the same thing on RS. Many aliases.

#1420713

Well, from my research and my own experience - Dr. Harley is a very talented and capable surgeon.

I had the Biltmore lift in September and I am very happy with my results. My scars are not visible, my jaw and neck are tight, smooth- no more jowls. It even reduced my marionette lines. I don’t think there is a plastic surgeon out there who can please 100 percent of the people 100 percent of the time.

However, I know Dr. Harley to be conscientious, ethical, fair and I’m sure he is willing to help any of his patients with any type of post surgical concern. I’ve heard this from more than one woman, on realself. It must be the wZy you handle the situation.

I guess if you’re not willing to allow the doctor who did the work to help you you’re just out of luck!

It’s your choice to spend all that money on fillers and revision.

Good luck

@PissedConsumer1420713

Ivegotrythm, I'm very pleased you had a good experience - its a bit early to know your final result since you haven't hit 6 months yet but hopefully your results won't change as mine did. I'm not sure why you would assume without being a medical professional that having a surgical revision is appropriate for me?

Other doctors have told me having the skin stretched again is not necessarily the best move at this point, and there is no guarantee that Dr. Harley would be able to change the outcome plus I would risk nerve damage and additional scarring.

You are right, I am out of luck, because my money has already been spent and now I have to deal with the medical issue and the scarring etc on my own. And that, madame, is the entire reason for this complaint.

People buy everything now based on reviews - we rely upon them. If you bought a $10,000 leather sofa online that had great reviews and ended up finding out after you owned it for 6 months that it was already breaking down and wearing out would you write a review to let others know not to buy it? Of course you would.

Reviews don't mean every single person has the same experience - they do express each person's individual experience and it is the cumulative of all written reviews that help a person make their final decision.

Your review is just as important as mine - and for your sake, I do hope that your final result will hold.

I was right at where you are at in my healing when my face really started to take a turn for the worse. Best of luck

@PissedConsumer1420713

agree all the way and I hope she spends tons of her husbands money with her stupid lawsuit/complaints. she equates her surgery with buying a couch for crying out loud lololol!!!

she has no concept of the fact that her own anatomy and hasty preemptive strike convoluted her result (because the swelling went away and her fillers couldn't hold up) were the probable reasons she didn't get the result she hoped for. everyone with any experience knows you don't pay for a result...it makes her look dumb whining about things beyond anyones control, including her own. shes more upset about the few people here defending him and not feeding in to her delusion than anything else, but shes in for a rude awakening...like a couple others, I send him screen captures to help him out ...hes a great doctor and a kind man...she will get nothing she hopes for because of her ego problem and thinking she knows more than any doctor when she doesn't like what they say.

I'm here commenting in his defense BECAUSE I CAN. her latest photos look altered to make her cheeks appear sucked in, its laughable, except for her husband having to put up with her witch hunt, poor guy :/

@PissedConsumer1421425

Joyce , are you another Harley Honey? Spirited debate is always welcome and in fact helpful when educated people are talking.

Unfortunately Harley fans do not express themselves with the full and rich vocabulary of educated people - so our ability to learn much from each other here is a bit compromised.

Ladies for the umpteenth time, your harassment, screen shots and emails are not in any way helping Dr Harley. He knows I am posting here, he follows it himself , we have discussed all of the issues being talked about here. I have been very transparent with Dr Harley about my complaints and concerns - so truly the only thing you groupies are doing is making my blogs longer and creating more buzz about this complaint which ultimately does Dr Harley no good.

Each of you keeps saying I won’t “gain” anything by writing a complaint - even tho I have said time and again I’m not seeking any sort of personal gain here. What has been achieved is the conversation has been started - women are starting to question RealSelf validity, question traveling for surgery and question the safety and longevity of mini procedures vs full facelifts. Mission accomplished.

The bulk of your comments merely showcase the depth of your petty and childish natures.

Your taunts are similar to the sentiments expressed by grade school children. Sticks and stones Ladies - it won’t change a thing I have to say.

@PissedConsumer1421551

You obviously are not only paying attention to all these responses, but YOU are replying back in a most defensive, childish and distasteful manner. You are just flat out unlikable.

Regardless of your point, whether it’s to warn others about RealSelf marketing or if you’re out to ruin a good doctors reputation- your tone is uppity and condescending ! I cannot see you accomplish anything!

@PissedConsumer1421425

Ok, if you can’t receive this particular reviewer’s truth, can you receive mine? I had the Biltmore Lift.

Dr. Harley CLEARLY did not review, receive, look at my pre-op pictures. If he did, he should have turned me away. It’s like I threw $6400, plus lodging, food, travel, right out the flipping window.

Instead, I look EXACTLY the same and have complications and scars to boot. When I have looked to find anyone out there on Realself that I can contact with similar issues, to no avail. VERY few negative reviews remain. Why?

Because they have been either deleted, scurried away from posting negative comments or banned. There is something seriously wrong with this scenario, don’t you think?

#1419736

louise batgirl essenceoflife nyclife southern belle olivia

#1419793
@PissedConsumer1419736

Looks like another Troll stalking from Real Self! Real Self routinely blocks accounts of patients who post negative information about the doctors who pay for advertising there so there have been several people who have created new accounts to try to continue to voice their opinions.

The names listed are those of people who have been trying to speak out against Dr. Harley and have been silenced, but those names are for more than one person so not sure what your point is. I'm no longer on RS I'm filing formal complaints against the doctor- but I have been told that there are a few other people who have recently posted indicating poor results from Dr. Harley which is no surprise.

I've also been contacted by a woman who sent me information to include myself in a petition for class action suit against individuals and companies mentioned .

RS and its doctors won't be able to continue what they are doing forever. :)

#1420740
@PissedConsumer1419793

You make this sound like such an injustice! It’s PLASTIC SURGERY!

You signed up for it.

Why don’t you go volunteer in a soup kitchen and try to reorganize your selfish and self centered thinking! Have you no shame?

@PissedConsumer1420740

Itsalltrue- if your reasoning was correct, plastic surgeons would not carry malpractice or general liability insurance . Doctors can be held accountable for adverse effects from any medical procedure including elective procedures.

Saying I “signed up for it” is like telling someone who consumed an expensive seafood dinner and ended up in the hospital with food poisoning that they have nothing to complain about !

I signed up (and paid) for facial rejuvenation. I did not sign up for lymphatic problems, pain and swelling around my eye, vision disturbance, chronic infection, and possible nerve damage.

If the only issue here was the failed facelift and the bad scarring I would not be as motivated to warn others - but it is a much bigger problem than that.

Surgery carries risks but many women are led to believe mini procedures are less invasive and can’t hurt them - which is far from the truth.

I do volunteer in the big brother/ big sister program with kids, I foster abandoned animals and donate my time to help feed and build winter shelters for feral and strays - but I am just as motivated to help others by increasing awareness on things that can go wrong with elective “mini” surgical procedures.

Shame ? No ma’am -I feel quite the opposite.

i think earlybird has a real problem here, like a dictator "see it my way or the highway" thinks he/she knows the law and who this person is, how many user names speakupnow2017 has on realself, knows the dr personally and probably has his private phone numbers. but from reading all this earlybird probably dont have any friends and is up all night reading into someones misfortune and wants to harass people to feel powerful.

earlybird must have been the bully in the school yard. fly away early bird no one wants your opinion here

@PissedConsumer1415771

CS in a nutshell yes, EarlyBird hasn't matured past being a school yard bully. However for anyone that can get past the ravings of Dr.

Harley groupie, this is about Real Self continuing to promote surgeons that damage people while simultaneously silencing the voices of anyone who tries to inform the public of what the surgeon is actually doing. I will message you with a link to my RS blog in case you are interested in following.

@PissedConsumer1415836

speakupnow2017 i used realself to find a doctor , i was 55 and looked 30 but i noticed a few flaws probably only i could see. after finding realself and seeing this so called "top pittsburgh doctor" with no bad reviews i went to him FRANCIS JOHNS asking to be very conservative and if i had to i would be willing to pay for a second surgery if i felt it was too conservative but the lies i was told and the bragging should have been red flares of warning.

after my surgery i had many problems with my eyes even some nights they wouldnt stay closed while sleeping. i had traveled thru-out the US to find a dr to try and repair the damages FRANCIS JOHNS did.

i tried posting on realself only to be "warned" then removed and prohibited to get back on. so i feel the same as you speakupnow that realself still promotes drs across america without leaving seattle

#1420202
@PissedConsumer1415873

that's because the issue you describe is a normal thing to happen after a bleph...you cant just be allowed to run your mouth to ruin someone because you don't understand what you signed...read your consent forms next time or stop messing with your face. believe it or not realself did you a favor if he lost business because of what you tried to do

#1420743
@PissedConsumer1415836

So, you’re mature? Since when is name calling mature?

Unbelievable.

@PissedConsumer1420743

Anonymous says "you can't just be allowed to run your mouth" Yikes, that sounds like a dictator, trying to suppress free speech. Yes, people CAN run their mouths and share experiences INCLUDING negative ones.

It's up to people to decide for themselves what to make of negative reviews. We don't need them to be CENSORED from us.

@PissedConsumer1415771

guess earlybird flew away haha

Realself Reviews